Sunday, November 26, 2006

The Mayor



I unexpectedly met the Mayor of Cambridge yesterday. He was standing in front of Cherry Hinton christmas tree frozen by the flashbulb onslaught - well, a bloke took a picture of him with a digital camera. I took Elly to look "at the king."

"Hello," I said.

"Hello," said the Mayor

"Are you the King?" I said.

"No, I am the Mayor of Cambridge," said the Mayor.

I had no idea of what to say next.

"Is it nice?" I said.

"Yes, it is very good," said the Mayor.

"Do you get lots of free sweets?" I said.

He looked deeply into my eyes to see if I was taking the piss out of him or if I was a genuine idiot.

"A lot of free sweets? No." said the Mayor.

"They are having coffee and tea and cakes in the village hall, if you want to go there I think it will be very nice." said the Mayor.

"Oh, that sounds nice, thankyou," I said.

I think I would like to be the Mayor.

No comments:

A Number